Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mortal Instruments Series

A sword, a cup, and a mirror that happens to be a lake. They are the mortal instruments given to a shadow hunter race by the angel Raziel. Sounds pretty good eh? This pretty much forms the platform for Cassandra Clare's novels. Now I read this book because the name was city of bones and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's pretty intriguing, but I'm not ashamed to admit that's why i ended up reading it. First things first though, I absolutely detest the main character, Clary. She is one of the worst heroine's I've ever read about; she is just always getting in the way. Her brand of helping is the one stupid and clueless people give (no offense). And she thinks that she can do whatever the hell she wants and get away with it! I mean come on dude you have no idea what your doing so quit trying to be like Jace! So that's a good way to change the subject because Clary makes my blood pressure go high. Jace is pretty cool, he's not amazing but not nearly as bad as Clary thank god. But I don't want to give Jace too much credit either, he's not that great. I think the author made him too tortured I guess and he always makes his problems really complicated, I mean come on dude quit trying to.make your life a soap opera! And the relationship between the two is almost childish with how hard the author tries to make it, I suppose you could say passionate. Its just overworked. There happens to be a couple saviors in the book though; Isabel, Mangus, and Valentine. Isabel is a character who really did have more than just face value. She was always a pretty tough girl, but as the book develops you find out that she isn't just a shallow character with nothing beneath the surface. Mangus is my favorite character in this series, he is an eccentric warlock who couldn't be stranger if he tried. Mangus is hilarious in all of his glitter encrusted glory. Valentine who is this series main antagonist is villainous in a different way than expected. He holds no regard for his son's feelings, and has a clear conscious despite all of the lies he has told. I think that what made him so interesting is that while his actions were evil he truly resented doing them. This series is a nice read if you have nothing better but i wouldn't particularly recommend them to anyone, i wouldn't really read this series again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment